Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Reading Diary B: The Great Plains

 This week I read the Great Plains Unit.

The Ghost and the Traveler
I thought this story was really short. It differs from other stories because it does not refer to a God but instead the “Thunder Beings.” I found it a bit amusing that the man’s response to seeing the woman with no legs was that she might choke him.

The Man Who Shot a Ghost
I thought this story was very interesting because the ghost he had wounded turned out to be a person that had been shot in the head.

The Wakanda, or Water God
This story actually does use a God to show power. It was interesting to see some of the Native American customs that were shown in the story, such as painting their bodies. Many of them would use paint for war, or hunting. In this case they were trying to get their child back. I also thought it was another reference to culture about the white dog that the water god wanted.

The Spirit Land
This story was probably my favorite from this unit. I thought it showed the significance of the term “crow” to the Native American people. Their leader showed no fear and a solution to a problem.

I enjoyed reading this unit. I noticed how it was written in a different language compared to what we are used to reading, which shows the culture of the text.


I thought this image was fitting for this unit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment