Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Storytelling week 7: Eddie's first date

Eddie was a tremendous football player. He was well liked by all of his coaches at the university. He was the fastest running back that any of them had ever seen in their careers. Athletically he was at the top of the food chain, but with the ladies he was not as popular. He only knew how to play football. He hadn’t had a father figure to tell him how to treat a woman.

His teammates teased Eddie about his awkwardness around girls. Prom was coming up soon and Eddie figured he just wouldn’t go. He thought he would pick up an extra shift at the local 7/11 where he worked on the weekends. His teammates wanted to help Eddie get a date. They knew he wouldn’t do it on his own.

 They knew Eddie had his eye on Sabrina. She was captain of the cheerleading squad and the most popular girl in school. The boys knew exactly how they were going to get Eddie a date. He needed a new sense of fashion. Eddie looked like his mother still picked out his clothes because he wore clothes from the local thrift shop. 

The boys thought they could help Eddie if they created him a new image. So they took Eddie to the mall and bought him new jeans and a collared shirt. They also took him to get a haircut and got him some gel to put in his hair.

 The next day the boys encouraged Eddie to ask Sabrina to prom. Eddie was super nervous and did not even know how he would talk to such a pretty girl. Finally he found the courage and he walked up to her on his way to class.

 “Hey Sabrina! How’s it going?” Eddie said.

 Sabrina turned around shocked at Eddie’s appearance. “Um.. good.. Eddie?” she asked.

 Eddie knew by the look on her face she was shocked that he could clean up well. “Would you like to have dinner with me tonight, around 7?” Eddie asked. 

Sabrina still had an astonished look on her face but she managed to mumble a “sure.” 

That night Eddie and Sabrina went to the Dairy Queen for dinner.

 “Sabrina, there something I wanted to ask you…” She turned her head and looked at Eddie “ask away,” she replied. 

Eddie took a deep breath, “Would you go to prom with me?”

Sabrina looked at Eddie confused “is that why you went and bought new clothes?” 

Eddie looked at his plate, because he knew for sure her answer was no. 

Sabrina continued the conversation, “because you could have asked me with that dorky haircut and I would have said yes. Appearance isn’t everything Eddie.”

Author's Note: 
I wrote this story based on the idea of Anansi and Nothing. In the West African Tale, Anansi and nothing set out to find wives. Nothing was dressed in fancy clothes and Anansi was not because he was poor. Anansi convenience Nothing to switch him clothes, and of course Anansi received all the attention. Later when they brought their wives home the ones of Anansi soon realized they were fooled and had picked a poor husband. Nothing's wife tried to share the wealth with the others and Anansi got jealous and killed Nothing. I thought this story was a good representation that looks may make a person appealing, but they are simply not everything.  

Bibliography:
“Anansi and Nothing” by William H. Barker and Cecilia Sinclair from West African Folktales (1917).

Anansi and Nothing


I thought this picture was important to remember because Anansi is supposed to resemble a spider in most West African Tales.
Picture Link

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sara!

    I read the story of Anansi and Nothing as well, and I really liked how you switched it up! I enjoyed how you took that part of the story and made it into your own. It was a nice read and I definitely liked the moral of the story.

    Some small things: in the first paragraph I believe "had" should be changed to "have" in the very last sentence. Also, I think the last two sentences in paragraph too might work and flow better as the first two sentences of paragraph 3.

    I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara! I haven't read any of the Anansi tales yet so I really enjoyed reading your story. I also appreciate the story link you put below the author's note as well as the summary you included. I noticed a small mix up in the author's note (probably from autocorrect). You put convenience instead of convince.

    I think you did a great job with the dialog in your story and it all sounded natural. I did wonder if the character was in high school or college, though. Is there prom in college?

    I enjoyed your story and look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sara!
    I really appreciated your new interpretation of this story. I felt so many feels when after he asked her to prom and then she mentioned the new clothes. This story was so cute and sweet, and reminds people that appearance is not the only thing that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara,
    I love the moral of this story. I also loved that you made such a well-loved jock awkward around females. I am glad Eddie decided to ask Sabrina out. I know she said that he didn’t have to buy new clothes in order to ask her to prom but I am glad he got the confidence to be courageous enough to ask her.

    ReplyDelete