Sunday, August 30, 2015

Growth Mindset

I was recently in a class that studied the TED talk. I thought it was an interesting topic and tried to apply the positives of it to my own life. I struggled tremendously my first year at OU due to a new environment, old study habits, and lack of self esteem. I think that I started to develop a fixed mindset of how my career at OU was going to be and I was highly disappointed in myself. However, I managed to take some summer classes and a few more that I managed to excel in. Taking those classes boosted the confidence of what I can do if I change my mind set and apply myself. I realized that it was my state of mind that had to be changed. I think the TED talk radiates the idea of how we can achieve something we want if we change our negative attitudes into positive ones. I found that I needed to change my study habits, obviously my old ones weren't working. I figured out I did better if I had someone to study with and used a setting other than my home. I tried to eliminate all the distractions and stress of the outside world. I also realized that I needed to spend more time studying.

I think one of the Growth mindset challenges I could pursue is talking to the children I work with about not having a fixed mindset. I currently work at an after school program where I help kindergarten through fifth graders with their homework every day. I see them struggle and want to give up, but I also get to see when it clicks and they suddenly understand a problem. However, some of them struggle more than others and get very frustrated. I have to tell them to take a break and come back with a fresh start and try the problem again. I find myself doing that with my own homework. I feel that I am not accomplishing anything if I am too frustrated I cannot think clearly. I also have to express to them how important it is to learn and do your own work.



source
I found this Meme very true and it reminds me of what I have to teach my students.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you are bringing what you have learned about growth mindset to the students your work with. I believe introducing them to this framework will have an amazing effect on their academic ability and future success. By starting so young, you will open up so many possibilities for them. Keep up the good work!

    I also hope that the growth mindset challenges help you grow. Succeeding at things we are good at can help to reignite our confidence, but learning to accept our failures as opportunities to grow is even more important. Keep pushing yourself.

    ReplyDelete