Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Storytelling Week 12: Tribe 321

Lauren is putting up the tree,
Hoping that underneath soon there will be,
Presents for her and all of us to see.
She has asked day and night,
Waiting for all of us to say without a fight,
Yes we will put up the Christmas tree tonight!
She claims to be Cindy lou hoo,
But the Christmas lights she chose were the color blue.
However, you won’t see a frown from Lauren
Not unless you catch her snoring
After all, a moment with her is never boring.


Then there is Hannah,
Who really likes to eat bananas,
Never does she swear,
Because after all she really does care.
She really likes to dance,
In her Mario Pajama pants,
She also likes to do hand stands,
Even though she can barely land.
She often causes a clatter
Which makes our downstairs neighbor wonder what’s the matter.
Occasionally she ends up on the bar
Because she thinks she is a star


Last but not least there is Shelbi
You never know where she will be,
Often she is hiding behind a dark corner
Ready to scare the living daylights out of a foreigner,
She too likes to dance,
Usually late at night,
Is the best time to see such a sight.
Watch out for her on the floor,
there she sleeps but she will never snore,
However when she is awake,
Everyone knows she is not fake.


Upstairs there is one that doesn’t belong,
He bangs and clangs all day long,
His steps are heavy,
His name is probably something like eddy,
We often bang on the ceiling,
Trying to make him understand our feeling,
We put up with the noise,
At least until august,
We’ve made our self that promise,
In our moments of despair,
We just have to scream it is not fair!


Now that you have met the tribe of 321,
You know how these rhymes once begun.
It all started from scratch,
That is when this sisterhood began to hatch,
For each other we would fight,
Against each other sometimes we just might,
Through burnt dinners and undone laundry,
We have learned to just laugh and have a party,
Different paths we may take,
Because after all life is no cupcake,
However I know that I can always count on my tribe,
Even without a bribe.

Author's Note:

I had a hard time trying to retell a nursery rhyme so I decided to make my own rhymes. The rhymes are about my roommates. Don't worry I read them all out loud to them so they know exactly what they say. While trying to write the rhymes I realized how difficult it can be. I also included what we go through with our upstairs neighbor. I hope that my rhymes at least give someone a good laugh!




Personal Photo of Tribe 321



Since one story did not inspire me more than the other here is the link to the Nursery Rhymes

Bibliography 
The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang (1897).






4 comments:

  1. You did a really good job with this. It is really hard to come up with rhymes, which is why I wouldn’t be able to do this or write songs. Using your roommates as inspirations is really smart too because you broke each stanza with information about them. I looked at the link for the nursery rhyme unit and there’s a lot of material to take inspirations. This was a really good poem to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,

    I really enjoyed this original. Whenever I did rhymes it was also very hard for me to retell them so instead I made a story about the rhyme. It definitely required a lot of more thinking and imagination than I had anticipated. I think your story this week is great! At first while reading I was really curious to know what rhyme this was inspired by since it did not seem like anything that I had read before. Your descriptions were great and your Author's note really let me know what was going on. Great job and good luck on finishing the semester strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I am going to echo some of the previous comments by saying that one, you did a great job with this! And two, so original! I would have never thought to write a poem about my roommates, so you are a clever one! It was entertaining and relate-able for me to read, and I liked it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this story was very original! I always thought it would be hard to write nursery rhymes so I commend you for trying. You did an awesome job. Each of the rhymes were different and had their own themes. At first I was not sure which original story you were focusing on until I read your Author's note and that answered all of my questions. Nice picture at the end also!

    ReplyDelete