Thursday, September 3, 2015

Essay: Parents of the Aesop Fables

I chose to write about the family relationships in the Aesop (Winter) Fables. An example is the Mother in The Boy and the Filberts. The mother tried to teach her son he had more than what he needed. If he would only take what he needed, then he would not feel the punishment of his hurting hand. I find this to be one of those fables I myself was taught from as a child. Often our parents tell us to “be thankful for what you have.” Another story I thought I could relate to this topic is The Boys and the Frogs, they were endangering a family of frogs and the oldest and bravest is the one that spoke up. Most people look to their father for protection and guidance. The moral of the story was to watch your actions because even though they may be fun for you, it might not be for others. I think this is another lesson we are often taught as children, to play nice with each other and be considerate of others. Another message taught by a mother was in The Boy and the Nettles. The mother did not feel sorry for her son when he was stung, which showed that he was growing up, even though the moral of the story was to do something with all of your potential. While reading the fables that had to do with parental roles I found it was often the mother that was doing the disciplinary action and the father was not in the picture. I think this is because the father was always at work during the time that the fables were written and the woman was left to maintain household duties and take care of the children. I thought it was interesting to see how things used to be perceived in family roles and how they are not the same way today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment