Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Storytelling: week 3 How the Crane Found the Wolf

It was a cold winter night when the wolf met up with the Crane. The wolf had been walking around for days looking for food but the snow had made it difficult to find any prey. Finally the Wolf caught a whiff of a deer that a hunter must have lost because it smelt a few days old. Luckily the cold weather had preserved the deer and it was just right for eating to the wolf, so he began his feast. Being a few days without food made the wolf eat so fast he was practically inhaling the meat. He noticed that there was something caught deep down his throat. He tried to cough but it would not budge. He looked at the feast and realized he must have swallowed a deer rib. He decided he needed help getting the bone out so he started his journey up the cold mountain side seeking help. He came across a pack of coyotes. “Brothers!” the wolf cried. He made motions to the bone stuck in his throat. “Is there something we can do for you?” asked the leader of the pack. The wolf managed to say “Yes! Please help me with this bone,” as he opened his mouth. The coyote laughed and said “Remember that time you told us about the farmer’s calf and how he never checks on them at night? Well you were wrong. We lost one of our strongest pack members to the farmer’s buckshot. Why would we help you when you only want to help yourself?” The wolf hung his head and went on to look for more help. He soon came across a shepherd guarding his sheep. The shepherd ran towards the wolf with his staff and wacked him on the head. The wolf again pleaded for help. The shepherd responded with a laugh, “Why on earth would I help you, think of how many sheep you have stolen from me.” The wolf couldn’t help but understand why his enemies would not help him. He went away from the shepherd to lie down and prepare to die with the deer rib in his throat. Suddenly he heard a noise; it was a crane that had landed right beside him.  “Are you the wolf with the bone stuck in your throat?” asked the crane. He had heard all the animals telling of how the wolf was in desperate need of assistance. The wolf nodded. “Well I think I could be of some help to you, but you must make me a promise? You must never eat a single crane.” The wolf agreed on the terms of the crane and soon the crane had pulled the bone out with his large beak. “Thank you!” the wolf exclaimed. “Now as for that promise, I do not see any one else with you, therefore I did not eat a single crane,” with that the wolf turned and ran up the mountain side to find the deer he had left and finish his meal. 

Author's Note:
I chose the story The Wolf and the Crane because I thought it was entertaining the first time I read it. I thought it would be a good idea to take a different approach, which was that the wolf did not have any friends because he was so greedy. I wanted to show that he was not concerned about others well-being. I decided to show the wolf's journey to finding help from the crane to remove the bone in his throat. I tried to make my retelling of the story very descriptive to give the reader a good mental image. In the original story, the wolf tried to get anyone he met to take out the bone from his throat. The wolf came across a crane that said if the wolf would make a promise then he would take the bone out. He had the wolf lay on his side and he stuck his head inside the wolf’s mouth to get the bone. The wolf had said he would do anything to have the bone out and after it was out the crane asked for his reward. The wolf responded with how the crane was lucky he stuck his head into his mouth without the wolf ending his life.

Bibliography
"The Wolf and the Crane." by Joseph Jacobs from The Fables of Aesop (1894).
story source



picture source
I think this picture does a good job of indicating the Wolf's character.

6 comments:

  1. Much like you, I have not changed my blog from the original setting, so my font and layout are the exact same. However, I do not think that is a bad thing! Having the generic look makes it easy to read. If there is too much going on in the background or even on the post itself, I tend to get distracted and find it hard to focus on the story. So if you decide to update your blog layout and design (who knows if I ever will) keep it simple like the default setting. The focus should be your writing (which is great), not some unreadable font that we would all have to decode! Also, your pictures tie in well with your stories. I have a hard time finding pictures on my own that go with my stories, but so far so good! Keep up the good work and I will be sure come look at some more posts later this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a tale from Aesop's fables this week and really enjoyed how you expanded on the fable to explain why the wolf needed the crane's help. I also really liked the sneers that you used as reasons that the others would not help the wolf, I thought they were really creative! I really enjoyed that you used the illustration with the wolf and the crane, it helped me visualize the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a good story. What I have to suggest is more with formatting. You need to seperate this into bite sized paragraphs. To do this, make each paragraph have the same topic.
    You also need to give dialogue its own paragraph as well.
    Seperate paragraphs act as a road map or sorts for the reader. If you don't have any, oftentimes the reader will get lost.
    Fortunately you have a good story, so once you seperate it out, you will have a great story! I hope this helps, and if you have any questions on writing stories or seperating into paragraphs--let me know! (I am a Professional Writing Major, so this is definitely my favorite topic to talk about!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! This was a good story and I was intrigued as to who would end up helping the wolf, if he got help at all. I wasn’t sure if he would or not! The only thing I might suggest is breaking it up into paragraphs. Personally I have difficulty reading things on the computer screen when there are so many rows of sentences stacked on top of one another. It all starts to blur together to me and I’m sure others must feel the same way. Making smaller paragraphs would make it easier to read and I feel like it would give the story a better flow by sectioning off different interactions the wolf has. I have not read the original story although I am quite surprised that the Crane would help the wolf! Good job overall, a few technical changes and your story would be an even better read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the story because I really like animals. I think that is a smart call because most people sympathize with animals in a huge way, especially cats and dogs. My only huge suggestion had to do with the author's note. It said that you wanted to show the wolf pay for his greediness, but I never found the wolf greedy. Maybe it was just me, but I never got that feel. So, I would just read through it again and see if it seems that it is prevalent that the wolf is greedy. Another suggestion, would be to break this story up in to multiple paragraphs to show change of scenes more. It read great, but I think it would make the story much clearer with split paragraphs. Lastly, I know it sounds simple, but your color of your text with a white background is great. I have trouble reading so many things online or tv because they layer colors on top of each other that blur together rather than stand out. So, I really like the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gosh, hon, I'm not trying to be rude or anything - but this was difficult to read.

    Not because of your writing (it was very good!) but a huge block of text is so disheartening to look at. Remember to break new paragraphs every time there's a new topic or change of scenery or someone new is speaking - this will help your readers (and yourself while you're editing)!

    Please don't take this the wrong way - this is just meant as constructive criticism, that's all. I know that sometimes tone and inflection can get lost in translation, especially on the other side of the screen when all you see is black and white. But, again, that's not my intention.

    I hope you're having a great semester!

    ReplyDelete