Thursday, September 17, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Khasi Foltales


I chose the Khasi Folktales unit for extra reading. I found the story of The Tiger and the Monkeys to be fairly unusual. It was not like others I have read because the tiger represented the king of the jungle, but he was arrogant. I can relate this action of the animals back to humans choosing to play on the weaknesses of others. They knew the tiger for his strength, which brought them protection; however they could manipulate him for what they wanted. Normally I would have chosen the tiger in the story as king of the jungle because he is smart, brave and strong. I also thought it was unique that the monkeys are who outsmarted the tiger. This characteristic of the story relates to Indian tales I have read such as the Crocodile and the Monkey. They followed a similar plot. I also found that the stories in this unit are significantly longer than Indian tales, but they follow the same principals of animal characters and containing animal storytellers.

picture source

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I just want to say that I like your website layout, very crisp! Anyways, I think the photo that you chose goes very well with your extra reading. I am surprised that you only decided to comment on two stories, though, versus having commentary about all of them. But I can follow your thought process in your notes, which is good! My only critique would be to make sure to caption your photo in addition to your link, and to have the whole citation for your extra reading instead of only having the link. But besides that one remark I had, you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete