Monday, September 7, 2015

Topics: Brainstorming

Topic: Heroes and Heroines

Comments:
One of the topics I chose was heroes and heroines. I like movies and stories that have a hero. A couple of my favorite movies as a child were Spiderman and batman.  I think I could relate to this topic fairly easy. I like stories that have someone that comes in to save the day.
Possible stories: In Greek Mythology there is usually always a hero, and if not there is a villain that has taught a lesson. I found several resources for Greek Mythology. Wikipedia shows several results for Greek Mythology.

Sample story: The story of Odysseaus and his long journey home is a story I am familiar with and one I enjoyed.


 Topic: fairy tales and nursery rhymes
Comments:  I loved nursery rhymes when I was younger. I also enjoyed fairy tale books. The Grimm readings interested me in the readings so I think I would like telling stories like this. Hansel and Gretel was one of my favorite stories as a child, which is why this topic interest me.

Sample story:  Jack and his Comrades

Bibliography: “Jack and his Comrades” by Joesph Jacobs from http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/authors/jacobs/celtic/jackcomrades.html

Topic: Historical Legends
Comments:
I really have an interest in history, especially American history. There is so much to learn here and so much to tell and use your imagination with to create a unique story.  I think a good topic for telling a story with this topic would be a war story or using Columbus and his finding of the new world.
Sample Story: George Washington and his Hatchet
This story is something that we hear often when learning about the leaders of the country. I think we are taught that even great leaders have imperfections because we are all human.
Bibliography: “George Washington and his Hatchet” retold by James Baldwin. From Fifty Famous Stories. Link

Topic: Ballads.
Comments: I think it is something I would be interested in writing about after reading others post and seeing how people interpret the ballads differently.  I believe there are several different ways to look at a ballad, which is where the creativity comes from when writing about ballads.
Sample Story: The wife of the Usher’s Well
The ballads can be dark, which makes them different from other topics. For instance in this ballad the mother did not want to believe her sons were gone and they would never be on Earth again.
Bib: “The wife of the Usher’s Well” By Francis James Child from English and Scottish Popular Ballads. Link

No comments:

Post a Comment